Dorothy House Hospice Care

When it matters most

Dorothy House gives free high-quality care and support to people with life-limiting illness. They came to us with a website that had grown over time to include a lot of content which their users struggled to find. The main goal was to reorganise the site to enable users to find what they needed – often in a time of crisis or high stress.

View the project

Helping users in high-stress scenarios find what they need fast

The main goal was to re-organise the site to enable users to find the content they needed. We did this by thoroughly researching the core audiences, building a prototype and doing lots of testing to make sure the new structure we design worked.

Getting the right content to the right people

We initially uncovered three user groups in an initial workshop: Patients, Carers and Professionals (medical). Further to this, we conducted one-to-one interviews with their users to further understand their situation and how the website could help them.

Prototyping and testing

Following this, and other research Dorothy House had conducted we were able to design an information architecture. We then built this out into a prototype and testing it with some of the users we had interviewed in moderated user testing sessions. By doing this we were able to find and correct issues with the structure and labelling of the website’s content.

Design with user groups in mind

We also worked with the Dorothy House team and the Shaw Trust, who provided an accessibility audit to make sure the site passed AA accessibility guidelines. 

Following on from this project we added a Shopify store to help them raise funds for their cause, and website to celebrate their 40th birthday featuring stories from their patients.

Dorothy House IA Dorothy House Prototype
Dorothy House Shaw Trust
Dorothy House Support workers

Designed in a pattern library

We designed and developed almost exclusively within the framework of a pattern library. This library formed a central point of reference for the project, allowing the whole project team to see what we were working on as we progressed.

This allowed us to design and iterate quickly, as well as allowing for modules to be developed independently from templates and the site as a whole.

A better experience for everyone

Having tested with users and proven that the new website solved the issues their previous website suffered from we launched in early 2015. Users are now able to find the content relevant to them, and the content is taylored in a specific style that takes into account which user group it is intended for.

During visual design we always considered colour contrast ratios, heading levels and ensured accessibility to an AA standard or higher.

Take a look

View the project